Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Guidelines...



This article is about updated guidelines for the treatment of HIV.   It doesn't alter much from the previous years.  It does stress the use of  1 a day regimens to increase adherence.  

The main point that's different than when I was diagnosed is the push for immediate treatment after diagnosis.   I can see the point, but I also know that some people can live for over a decade & not see any significant change in their health.  I realize those people are rare.  But, I think I'd want to wait until the virus was actually impacting my well being, before taking meds that would alter everything about my life, health & body. 

The problem with guidelines like these with people like me is that we're suspicious.   The doctor's very approach is suspect.  If they don't push enough, maybe they don't care.  Maybe they think + people asked for what they're dealing with healthwise.  If they push too much, they could be newbies just following a medical script & not paying any real attention to you as an individual.  They could be drug company flunkies pushing whatever medication paid them the most for their support.

As a person living with HIV for quite some time, I've become suspicious of the motives of medical professionals.  Are they really interested in my health?  Are they being bought off by a pharmaceutical rep?  Are they just thinking about that lunch date they have today & don't want to be bothered with me?  Maybe they just don't give a damn about any of it anymore. 

Being HIV+, you become something other than yourself.  You become a subject of conversation.  You become the walking life lesson.  You can be seen as a freak, deviant or burden.  You can be seen as a financial win for some company.  HIV can make you live stigmatized, relegated, alienated life.   Yes, I'm suspicious when  new HIV guidelines mention specific drugs.

Take care.

Cya...

No comments:

Post a Comment