Total Pageviews

Monday, February 6, 2012

Favorite Character...

Today's part of the blog challenge in which I am supposed to draw but instead am writing about things, the focus is on your favorite character from a book, not a movie.  This was hard.  I used to read by the ton-load & have a lot of favorite stories.  Choosing one character from all of those would be next to impossible.

Since I can't choose, I'll alter the challenge to better suit me.  I will choose an archetype instead just a specific character.  Pikachu, I choose you, no, no I don't.  I don't even like pokemon.  I'll be going with the Trickster.   I choose Coyote, Fox, Raven, Hermes, Puck,  Loki, etc...


Coyote or Medicine Dog is one of the most famous in the U.S.   He hasbeen depicted as everything from a wiseman to a buffoon from Looney Toon cartoons.  He & the other tricksters are here to teach us, characters & readers, the lessons of life via some fairly unorthodox methods, when the traditional won't suffice.  I won't go into stories, because their would literally be thousands of them.  Where to start?  Tricksters aren't perfect.  They are very flawed & are capable of letting us see those flaws as they reflect back on own lives.  These fine souls teach through example & folly rather than lecture & pedagogy. 

Never assume to judge a trickster.  They do what they do, because it is their nature & it is what we need them to do.  Do not presume that you know him or that you can even understand her.  You can't. Do not be angry with Loki for setting things into motion for the beginning of Ragnarok, it is his fate to do so.  Ragnarok is the vehicle for new beginnings for this mythos.  A trickster is never truly the fool, even if it's actions may seem foolish.


The trickster is not the fool, we are.  We are the ones on life's journeys. We are the querent, the one inquiring.    We are the ones going on our merry way.  The tricksters & their tales are there to guide us on our journey, hopefully learning from their lessons.  The trickster is my favorite archetype.  It is one of the most complicated & mysterious.  It leads us on journeys of faith, folly & hopefully forgiveness. So, grab your pixie dust, sometimes in life, it's all you've got left.

Cya

No comments:

Post a Comment