Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Still Pictures...




On this day, in 2009, the Eastman Kodak Company made a fateful decision that marked the change that was occurring in our society.  The company decided to no longer produce the film known as Kodachrome.  This was the film that let us have Kodak Moments from 1935 to 2009.  It recorded birthdays, weddings, graduations, family reunions & so much more.  It let the average person make history, at least their own.

But like vinyl,  cassettes, VHS & so many more it went to the great tech oblivion. It's sad to see  technology that was once so ground breaking be rendered obsolete, but that's progress.  I know we still have access to pictures & music, I have a lot on my computer.  But, the feeling of holding a book or listening as a record turns with all of it's imperfections can never be replaced by some computer file on  PC or Mp3 player.

Is it just nostalgia that makes us love to hold onto something like a picture printed on real Kodak Paper?  Or is it that we still just don't quite trust these new digital photos that don't really allow us to interact with them physically?  To me, my Mp3 files are not as intriguing as my old vinyl or even my CD's. They don't have that sense of involvement & intent.  My pic files are nowhere near as breath taking as the ones I see in a picture someone took & had printed.

I guess every generation goes through this, but it still sucks. I liked the crackle of a vinyl record.   I sort of miss the orange tones of pictures taken during the 70's.   I miss having a car that sounded like a car, not some wet kitten.  Don't get me wrong, there are some really cool things here today & I would never be one to get stuck in the good ol' days trap.  But sometimes, I just wish there was a way to go back for just a hour or two.  Who knows, it might cure everyone of their nostalgia.

Cya

What's no longer here, that you miss?

No comments:

Post a Comment