Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Stevia...




Years ago I switched to Diet Coke.  It wasn't for a caloric issue, it was for the sugar issue.  At that time, the majority of my dietary intake consisted of Coke & Snickers & the occasional protein.  I didn't have a weight issue then, but I figured I should cut back on my sugar intake. So I did.  Diet Coke & Diet Dr. Pepper were the only two diet soda that were out back then that I could stand.  I still hate Diet Pepsi.  

Within the past few years I've weaned myself off of most sugar for drinks.  I went with Nutrasweet or Aspartame.   In the last couple of years I've tried the Splenda or sucralose.  I do not like Splenda at all.  It's way to sweet & has a weird back taste.  Splenda was out.

Now, the problem was that aspartame came with its own issues.  It has been alleged that aspartame can lead to a host of dangerous physical reactions.  I don't know if they are true or not.  What I do know is that drinking things with aspartame did have it's effects on me.

  • A near constant slight headache
  • An increased craving for sweets
  • Memory issues
  • Fuzzy vision not associated with allergies
  • Slight bulging of the eyes
  • Tinnitus
  • Drowsiness
  • Numbness in the limbs
  • Restless Legs
  • Increased emotionality 

Now, I am not saying that all these things were the direct result of exposure to aspartame.  But I will say that since I have switched about half of what drink to stevia sweetened beverages, these symptoms have  markedly decreased.

Stevia comes in an extract or a powder.  It does come already mixed into some things & there is even a line of soda available.  I haven't tried the soda yet, it's expensive & I'm picky on my pop.  I like stevia, not enough to make my own extracts, but I like using it.   Since I've introduced it into my diet, I've noticed that my palate is much cleaner & I taste things with more precision or exactness. 

I am  not going to tell you that stevia will save your life, but I will say that it isn't too expensive & it works for me.  I buy my online, because the local stores tend to be pricey on it.  Again, do your research & see if you have any potential for unwanted outcomes from stevia.  But, I think you'll like it.


Have a good one...

No comments:

Post a Comment