Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Omega 3...



Omega 3 is a fatty acid with a ton of health benefits.   They range from aiding in cardiovascular health to lessening chances for some cancers to occur.  Now, I remind you as I said about cinnamon, omega 3 supplements can have interactions with your medications & your current health situation.  Do your research & talk to your health professional to see if this a good supplement for you.   There are risks with this & almost every supplement.

I take omega 3 to aid with inflammation, digestion & it is supposed to aid in memory/brain function.  Who doesn't want a better memory?  It does seem to aid in these things.  Again, this is not an immediate reaction, give it time to build up in your system.

To the choices.  You can get omega 3's through your diet.  Many foods have the nutrient in them & if  you consume enough of these foods, then you'd have your daily allowance.  However, most of us don't.  Past your diet, you have fish oil pills & flax oil pills.  

I started out on fish oil pills.  Fish is considered to be a better source of omega 3's than plants.  However, there are some considerations that may not make this the best choice.  Fish oil can be contaminated by pollutants with things such as mercury.  Fish oil can also contain high levels of active vitamin A.  Finally, it is from fish & this might not set well with vegetarians.  For some people it can cause nausea & diarrhea.  It did that to me & I simply do not need any more digestive distress in my life than my HIV meds already cause me.

Then there is flax seed oil.  It may have a lower content of the omega 3's but it will suit vegetarians.  Now flax seed oil can also can digestive distress, but it seems to less frequently than fish oil.  So far it hasn't bothered me. Flax seed oil pills are now part of my daily supplement intake.

If you start taking supplements, remember to introduce them one at a time.  Start one & give it a while, at least a week, before starting to take any others.  That way if you have a reaction, you can at least have some idea what it was to.  Dietary reactions can be serious.


It's sunny here today, I hope it's pleasant wherever you are...

No comments:

Post a Comment