Total Pageviews

Monday, May 30, 2011

Here Comes The Sun...



The past few days we've worked our way into the 90's F.  That really isn't that hot, but add the humidity into the mix & things start getting unpleasant.  I used to love the summer as a kid & even as a twenty-something.  But when I started getting ill, the sun was just too much.

After being diagnosed as +, they put me on several drugs & many of them cause reactions to excessive heat & can make you extremely photosensitive.  The straight heat I can handle for quite a bit.  However, I do not fair so well with humidity or bright summer light.  I can go out in the heat for a bit & be OK, but let me be in direct sun & within five minutes I'm heading back into the house.

HIV patients can react in a multitude of ways to be photosensitive.  I wind up depleted, exhausted & with migraine symptoms.  + people can also suffer more from heat stress.  I know that I can't handle the heat nearly as well as I used to & I don't think this one is just from being older.

If you are +, then you need to make sure to watch your temperature & hydration.  Do not play games with summer heat & humidity, it can kill you.  Remember to take breaks out of the sun & drink plenty of fluids.  Pay attention to you meds & see if they are adding to your issues with heat & sunlight.  



Here's hoping you're staying cool


No comments:

Post a Comment