Total Pageviews

Monday, May 16, 2011

Cinnamon...



Cinnamon is a spice derived from the bark of a tree with numerous uses from cooking to repelling pests to medicinal.   The medicinal value of cinnamon is diverse from aiding in smoking cessation to digestive issues.  But I tend to take it for other reasons.  Besides being a good sources of various nutrients cinnamon has three benefits that got my attention. 

The first is that it helps control cholesterol.  After I went on my HIV meds I gained a lot of weight from being on steroids for my breathing.  Luckily I am no longer on them, but the weight remained & my metabolism was shot.  Any one even a little over weight needs to be concerned about higher cholesterol levels.  Not that weight & cholesterol levels always correlate, but they often do.  Cinnamon can aid in lowering LDL cholesterol levels.

In addition to cholesterol, any one overweight, especially if they have any Native American blood in their heritage, needs to be concerned about their sugar levels.  Sugar levels can be associated with diabetes.  Cinnamon has been shown to aid in regulating insulin levels.  Some people combine their cinnamon intake with apple cider vinegar to aid in weight loss.

Another reason I take cinnamon is for aches, especially joint aches.  Many of my meds list aches as a possible reaction to the medication.  Cinnamon can aid with lessening these aches for me & for people with arthritis.  It doesn't completely take away the big aches, but it does dull them considerably.  Which results in me taking fewer pain medications.

Cinnamon can be taken via pills/capsules or via the spice itself.  You need about 1000 mg. daily or about a good solid teaspoon.   If you can get this much uncooked cinnamon into your diet daily, then go for it.  Do yourself a favor & don't try & take it by the spoonful, you'll regret it.  Cinnamon absorbs water & will close your throat if you don't drink a lot of water with it.  Even if you take the capsules remember to drink a lot of water with the pills.  If you don't you can get a cinnamon burp & imitate a dragon.  Trust me, it isn't pleasant.





You have to remember, as with any supplement, the effect isn't instantaneous.  It took about a month for me to really start noticing the effects of the cinnamon.  However, I have to say after that time I deal with far less aches & the ones I have are nowhere as bad as they used to be.  The swings in my sugar level are drastically lessened.   In addition, between this & apple cider vinegar I've had good results from my cholesterol tests.

Before you start taking cinnamon or really any supplement you should research it & check for any possible side effects that might affect you. You also need to check to see if any supplement your interested in taking might interact with any medication that you may be on at the time.  Many supplements do interact with each other & medications.   Google it or ask your pharmacist.

Here's to cinnamon...


No comments:

Post a Comment