Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Don't Switch...

This article is about the downside to switching drug regimens when it isn't necessary.  I'm on a dinosaur of a regimen.   I take Didanosine, Lamivudine, Invirase & Norvir.   My drugs were around in the 1990's.  My doctors look at me like I'm a relic.   But for now, my numbers are reasonable.  They've never been great in  over a decade, but they're steady.  I'm undetectable & have tolerable numbers otherwise.

They've asked me if I'd like to change meds, fairly often.  I say not now, thank you.  There might come a day when I have no choice & a then I want as many options left as possible.   I've had to quit 2 drugs as it is.  I was highly reactive to Retrovir, better known as AZT.  (I'd been dead in the 80's)  They discontinued production of Fortovase.   Other than that the only drug I'm no longer on is Dapsone.  I went off it when they were certain I was past any serious pneumonia risk.

This article tells of how there is a risk of changing people's meds when they are being virologically suppressed.  Meaning they are undetectable or nearly so.   Changing these meds sometimes led to virologic failure.  

I know many of these meds are problematic.  They have many reactions, side effects & interactions.  They put limits on your life & your choices.   But changing them without cause could lead serious consequences for your health.  Possibly even complete viral resistance or the inability to tolerate any meds.  

If you're on a regimen & it's suppressing your HIV, then by all means stick with as long as you can before changing.  Some of these drugs seriously suck.  But, there are only so many options available.  

Cya...

No comments:

Post a Comment