Total Pageviews

Friday, February 26, 2016

PrEP Failure...



According to Poz.com's article, there's been the 1st failure of PrEP.   A gay man reportedly maintaining his PrEP regimen for 2 years contracted drug resistant HIV.  Truvada is made up of Tenofovir & Emtricitabine.  If the virus encountered is resistant to 1 or both of these, then the efficacy of this treatment could be impaired.

Even though the results are acknowledged, researchers feel like this will be a rare phenomenon.  I'd  question that.  As PrEP users grow in number,so will the probability of failure. Especially in those not adhering to their regimen as prescribed.  

This man encountered HIV with resistances to 8 or more medications.  What happens when PrEP increasingly enters parts of the world with high levels of drug resistant HIV?  The answer is simple, PrEP will fail.

I wish I could say I was surprised by this news, but I'm not.  I've been expecting this.  The only surprise here, is it took this long to occur.

Cya..

No comments:

Post a Comment