Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 7, 2019

Disconnect...


It can't decide whether it's hella hot Summer or massively, muggy Fall.  Neither are great choices, but I'd go with the less humid option.  I don't do well with seasonal changes, but it's worse when the seasons refuse to change.

I see articles that tell people they're not they're disease (HIV).  While technically accurate, it doesn't feel like.  Between how the virus can make you feel & having to stick to a regimen, it's hard not to think about being HIV+.  I imagine anyone with a chronic illness feels the same. 

Even if you can get passed seeing yourself as just your illness, many won't.  Well meaning friends & family will ask about it.  Reminding you again, yes you are HIV+.  Less kind people will do so as a way of keeping you in your place.  Many people; doctors, pharmacists, lab techs, sale people, etc... will only relate to you on the basis of you being +.  Feeling that you're more than your illness, is no easy feat.

There a lot of things that have defined my life more than having the virus.  But being HIV+, is definitely up there on the list. I've been + for more than a third of my life.   That's longer than I was with my family, was in school, most everything I've been part was for less time than that.  Of course, being + is a huge part of my identity.   

You may not be your illness, but like it or not, it's a big part of  you.   This is a place for recognition & acceptance.  Not to wallow, but to adjust & move on with your life as it is now.  There really is no other healthy option.

Cya...

No comments:

Post a Comment