Total Pageviews

Friday, September 22, 2017

Not Sure What To Think....




According to this article,  parts of Africa will soon have access to a top-tier HIV medication for $75 annually.  This medication contains these 3 drugs; tenofovir disoproxil fumarate, lamivudine & dolutegravir.  It's called the TLD combination pill at this time.  I can't find much about it.  As far as I can tell, it's not yet available in the United States. 

Wow, that's great.  Africans will have access to a med 1 step removed from the Triumeq I take.  Instead of tenofovir, my med contains  abacavir.   Tenofovir is half of the PrEP medication Truvada.  Still, how is it Africans will get this drug for $75 annually?   When Triumeq costs over $80 daily.   That's over $2,500 monthly.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy these people will be able to afford treatment.  But why is it we're always making sure people elsewhere can afford their meds?  If I wasn't on disability I wouldn't be able to pay for my medication.   The medical system in the US is a crap-fest, but still so many  Americans focus mostly on the elsewhere.  

I guarantee you, when & if this medication gets approved in the U.S. it won't sell for an annual price of $75.   It'll be priced like everything else.  So, we get to pay for the rest of the world.    For what I pay monthly for Triumeq, 33+ people could be covered for a year on this TLD pill.  That could greatly alter the medical situation in my state.  But, it'll never happen.

Here I thought, poor, white Americans were supposed to be so privileged.  I guess that means we get the honor of footing the bill for things like this.  Yay us!  We didn't need those things anyway.


Cta...

No comments:

Post a Comment