Total Pageviews

Monday, January 2, 2017

Registry...



People are fretting that Russia is initiating a registry for HIV+ people.  The state says it will be used to help insure people get the aid they need.  Advocates believe it will lead to more discrimination.  Which is right?   Will this be like a registry in the comics?  

Before you get too tied up in that thought, maybe you should know the US has had such a registry since the early 2000's & earlier in some states.  That's right, the USA has a list of everyone who's conclusively tested +.  By that I mean, when I was diagnosed, it was with an ELISA test.  It came back +.  But the state wasn't convinced I had HIV until I took their  Western Blot test.    Afterwards I was found conclusively to be + & registered.  

I had to be registered if I was going to get any type or assistance or go on disability.   It was that simple.  Without these steps, the state wouldn't have done anything for me.

This isn't just about helping people living with HIV.  Or about discriminating against them.  It's also about public health & safety.   Like it or not, public health matters have to take precedence over some individual rights if society is going to remain safe.

So, scream about Russia's registry.  Just remember they're only following a precedent set by the US.  If you 're going to be upset over this issue, at least be educated on it 1st.

Cya...

No comments:

Post a Comment